Can you email me when the next Double Wing Illustrated is ready?
**SUBSCRIBE TO THE SITE AND WE'LL SEND AN EMAIL TO YOU WHEN THE EMAGAZINE IS READY OR TO ANNOUNCE ANY OTHER MATERIALS READY FOR RELEASE.
Can I use a school district purchase order?
**EMAIL US WITH THE FOLLOWING- THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF YOUR SCHOOL, THE SHIPPING ADDRESS (IF DIFFERENT FROM THE SCHOOL'S) AND THE MATERIALS THAT WILL BE PURCHASED. AN INVOICE WILL BE FORWARDED TO YOUR DISTRICT. ONCE WE HAVE RECEIVED PAYMENT, WE WILL SHIP THE MATERIALS.
Hi Coach, I was wanting to order your DW dvd set and playbook, if i send a MO, do i just put a note in there with the items name ?
**YES YOU CAN USE A MONEY ORDER , OR PAY PAL ON MY SITE. IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAIL ORDER, DEFINATELY SPECIFY WHAT YOU ARE ORDERING....EMAIL ADDRESS OR PHONE NUMBER IS A GOOD IDEA TOO.
How long will it take to receive my order?
**WE SHIP PRIORITY MAIL. YOU WILL USUALLY RECEIVE THE MATERIALS 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS AFTER THEY ARE SHIPPED . INTERNATIONAL ORDERS MAY TAKE 2-3 WEEKS.
Rule Blocking or Track Blocking?
**WHEN CHOOSING A "SYSTEM" THAT FITS YOU AND YOUR KIDS, SOME THINGS TO CONSIDER:
1) WHEN CALLING PLAYS AM I GOING TO USE A BACK AND HOLE NUMBER SYSTEM? WHAT IS THE HOLE NUMBER IN THE PLAY CALL GOING TO TELL MY BACKS AND LINEMEN? FOR ME, IT IDENTIFIES WHERE MY LINEMEN, FB GO, IT IDENTIFIES THE MOST LIKELY PLACE WHERE A DOUBLE TEAM WILL OCCUR. IT IDENTIFIES WHO IS BEING KICKED OUT. (IE, 0/1 HOLE CALLS KICK FIRST PAST A GAP, 2/3 HOLE PLAYS KICK FIST PAST B GAP, 4/5 HOLE CALLS KICK FIRST PAST C AND 6/7 HOLE CALLS KICK FIRST PAST D
2) WHEN CALLING PLAYS AM I CALLING THEM AT A DESIGNATED POST BLOCKER OR A DESIGNATED KING PIN (TURN MAN)- BY CALLING MY PLAYS AT THE DESIGNATED POST BLOCKER THAT MAN KNOWS HES EITHER DOUBLE TEAMING WITH THE MAN INSIDE OR OUTSIDE OF HIM AND HE ALSO KNOWS WHERE TO PLACE HIS HELMET! THATS HUGE. HAT PLACEMENT, A GAME OF INCHES, DECIDES WHETHER A PLAY GOES FOR 3 YARDS OR 30 IN SOME CASES. AM I GOING TO USE LINE CALLS TO GIVE THE KIDS CLEAR COMMUNICATION AND INCREASE CHANCES FOR SUCCESS?
3) DO I WANT MY MEN INSIDE OF THE KING PIN TO HAVE PRIORITIES OF DOWN BLOCKS OVER ON BLOCKS? OR DO I WANT THE PRIORITY TO BE ON CREATING DOUBLE TEAMS OVER ANGLES? DO I WANT TO HAVE SOME DOUBLE TEAMS OR JUST TOTALLY FORBID THEM? THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE SOME DOUBLE TEAMS YOULL NEED TO WORK ON THE INSIDE MAN PICKING UP RUN THRUS AND YOULL NEED TO WORK ON THE OUTSIDE MAN DEALING WITH A HARD SLANT AND SCRAPE STUNT FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT. CALLING OFF ALL DOUBLE TEAMS CAN RESULT IN "TRACK JUMPING" AND RUN THRUS BEHIND THE TRACKS. MAYBE YOU EVEN PREFER GETTING YOUR LINEMEN ON BACKERS OVER CREATING ANGLE BLOCKS? (IE G.O.L)
4) DO I WANT TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO ANGLE BLOCK BY CALL AND RULE AND DO I WANT THE ABILITY TO DOUBLE TEAM BY BOTH CALL AND RULE? DO I WANT TO GOL BLOCK BY BOTH CALL AND RULE? HOW MUCH CONTROL DO YOU WANT AS A COACH AND HOW MUCH CONTROL DO YOU WANT YOUR PLAYERS TO HAVE?
5) CONSIDER THAT YOU CANT EVER GET AWAY FROM SOME RULES. EVEN SAYING "BLOCK DOWN AT A 30 DEGREE TRACK" INVOLVES A RULE, ONE KID FORGETS THAT RULE AND BLOCKS ON AND HE CAN SCREW YOUR PLAYSIDE PROTECTION. SIMILARLY, SOONER OR LATER YOU HAVE TO SEND SOMEONE TO THE SECOND LEVEL BY RULE. IE, YOU NEED A KING PIN AND THEN THE FBI FOLLOWS THE KING PIN BLOCKING SECOND LEVEL. (AT LEAST IF YOU HOPE TO BE ABLE TO RUN POWERS AND COUNTERS TIGHT AND RUN TRAPS) WHAT RULE ARE YOU GOING TO GIVE YOUR KIDS SO THEY KNOW WHO GOES TO THE SECOND LEVEL? WHAT RULE ARE YOU GOING TO TEACH YOUR KID SO THEY KNOW WHO THE "SUCKER" IS? EVEN THE GUYS THAT SELL THE "NO RULES, NO THINKING" LINE HAVE SOME RULES IE "THE TACKLE CAN POST WHEN HIS INSIDE NEIGHBOR IS UNCOVERED"..THATS A RULE, IT REQUIRES THINKING. IT CARRIES THE SAME RISK AS THE GOD RULE OR ANY OTHER. THE KID CAN STILL "FORGET" HIS RULE AND BLOCK ON AND SCREW UP THE PLAYSIDE BECAUSE HE SHOULD HAVE BLOCKED DOWN.
YOU CAN USE WHATEVER "RULES" YOU WANT TO CREATE WHATEVER "PRIORITY" YOU WANT.
IE, OUR DOMINO CALL CHANGES THE GOD RULE TO THE GDO RULE. WE JUST CHANGED THE ORDER OF PRIORITY FROM ON BEFORE DOWN TO DOWN BEFORE ON. WE COULD VERY WELL HAVE SIMPLY CALLED DOMINO THE "G.I. JOE" BLOCK IF WE WANTED TO. (IN FACT, MY KIDS CAN SAY GI JOE INSTEAD OF DOMINO JUST TO MIX UP THE CALL)
LET ME EXPLAIN.
"GI" STANDS FOR BLOCK THE GUY INSIDE
"JOE" MEANS BLOCK THE JOE OVER YOU WHEN THERES NO ONE INSIDE. PRETTY SIMPLE.
IS THAT ANY DIFFERENT THAN "DO" WHICH IS :
BLOCK DOWN AS YOUR FIRST PRIORITY, THEN BLOCK ON AS YOUR SECOND PRIORITY? AND IS THAT DIFFERENT STILL THAN SAYING "TRACK/POST"?
OR IS THAT DIFFERENT FROM SAYING "PIN/POST?"
SEE MY POINT?
WHAT ARE YOUR PRIORITIES?
MY PRIORITY IN DESIGNING MY SYSTEM WAS IN PUTTING THE DOUBLE TEAM ON THE INSIDE EDGE OF THE HOLE WHILE HAVING INSIDE GAP PROTECTION AT ALL TIMES. I WANTED TO BE ABLE TO DOUBLE TEAM THE DIFFICULT PLAYERS ON THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE SO WE COULD WIN THAT WAY. I WANTED MY KIDS TO KNOW EXACTLY WHO WAS BEING DOUBLE TEAMED AND EXACTLY WHO WAS BEING TRAPPED/KICKED OUT. MY SYSTEM PIN POINTS THOSE THINGS.
Which Sweep should I use?
**DOUBLE WING ILLUSTRATED #1 DETAILS THE THREE SWEEPS THAT I BELIEVE IN.
SHOCK AND AWE SWEEP
Heres a couple of things to consider...
1) what kind of fronts are you going to see? IF you are going to see even fronts then go ahead and run the shock and awe supersweep all day!
That will give you the center cutting playside as a key breaker and will allow you to pull the playside guard and tackle as the te handles the C gap threat. The wing will take an olber in a 40 front or the de in a 60 front by himself.
If you are going to see 50 fronts and want to double team the de then the regular power sweep is a good idea.
2) practice time? Do you have the time to put in two or three sweeps??? The power sweep is the easiest and requires less talent than either the sprint sweep or the shock and awe but provides one less lead blocker.
3) The athleticism of your center and tackle. - IF your center is athletic enough to snap and cut playside and your tackle is going to be able to pull and make a block in space then by all means, be sure to get the SHOCK AND AWE sweep in there!
4) series- are you going to run the split flow series? If you plan to run waggle/boot as part of a series with trap and sprint sweep then its a must have play. Also, if you are going to toss off tackle then a toss around the end is a wise choice.
My suggestion at the very least is to include the toss sweep since you are going to toss off tackle. If you are going to run boot (which is one of the best plays in all of football) then you would do well to include the sprint sweep. That play is simply awesome.
Can you win with just one sweep? absolutely!!! but I do think its worth the investment to add one from split flow in addition to one with full flow. Just my opinion.
Do we need to have say a over-powering FB or a very fast WB to run your system and have success ?
**I HAVE NEVER HAD AN OVERPOWERING ANYTHING, BUT I COACH EACH KID TO THE BEST OF HIS ABILITY AND BELIEVE IN MY SYSTEM. PART OF WHAT ATTRACTED ME TO THE DW WAS THE DOUBLE TEAMS, ANGLES, PLAY PACKAGING AND CONFLICT IT PLACED ON DEFENSES. ITS THE GREAT EQUALIZER...
-YOU WILL NEED TO COMMIT TO BE SUCCESSFUL.
"Coach Calande when are you doing another clinic? I hear that you're taking this dw stuff to another level. I would love to attend." -Winger
**WELL, IN THE PAST I HAVE HELD AN ANNUAL CLINIC IN PENNSYLVANIA. THIS YEAR MY CLINIC WEEKEND WILL BE HELD IN BOOTHBAY HARBOR, MAINE. I'LL ANNOUNCE THE DATE AND EXACT LOCATION WHEN I HAVE IT SCHEDULED.
Where can I find information on shipping and your return policy?
Y**OU'LL FIND IT ON THE "HOW TO ORDER" PAGE. HERE'S A LINK... http://www.coachcalande.com/howtoorder.htm
GAMBLER FOR 6-8 YEAR OLDS??? READ THIS... "Coaches Any misgivings I had about the 46 were put to rest today as not only our starters but our 2nd defense with 6- 8 year olds dominated at a 4 team scrimmage this morning. In 3-40 minute scrimmages our 46-d allowed 1 td and only about 10 1st downs along with 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles one we recovered. The opposing offenses had over 10 fumbled snaps with our Nicks (one big, one small) kicking the crap out of the centers. Thanks Steve from me and my coaches for all your help Jim " "Steve, The defense rocked at the jamboree. Out of 30 plays...76 total yards, 3 sacks and 5 plays for losses! My de's are the keys. Mike & Will are good athletes and tacklers, but my ends are the "enforcers" (thats their nickname). My Fred is a "football smart" kid with good closing speed..he is my captain. You should have seen these 8-10yr olds communicating on the field, anyone who thinks that the Gambler is too complicated to teach under 10's is wrong. I talk & walk it every day for 15 mins.- Paul"